Ratings can be defined as a system of evaluation or assessment of a boxer against the other in terms of skills, experience and accomplishments. All boxers are rated according to their weight division, result based activity, records, quality of opposition and their potential. These criteria do not weigh the same when it comes to the rating of a boxer and are in no particular order.
Ratings will be compiled and issued monthly; retrospectively and will be publicised on the BSA website by no later than the 10th day of each month. The ratings will take into consideration all fights that took place between the first and last day of each month.
Ratings will be compiled with the following guiding rules.1. Boxers’ Activity, Record and Status
- A rated boxer will be kept in the ratings for as long as he/she remains active and his/her rating will be, in the majority, activity based.
- A boxer who has been inactive for a continuous period of more than 12 months will be removed from ratings.
- Boxers with just one professional fight will not receive a ranking even if they have beaten a rated boxer. Future justification of a ranking will be dependent on the rating criteria.
- A loss by a boxer may not always result in a drop in the boxer’s ranking and equally a win may not always improve his/her ranking.
- Only South African licensed Boxers will be rated within the top 10 SA rankings. Foreign boxers, who meet the rating criteria, will be rated in the international section.
In respect of boxers who are active in the international and/or world stages, the following rating criteria applies.
- South African licensed boxers who only compete at international level will be rated in the international section of the ratings.
- SA Boxers who hold one or more international titles, recognised by BSA, but compete locally as well, will also be rated in the international section as well as in the top 10 SA rankings depending on their current international career.
- Winning an international title may or may not improve a Boxer's ranking.
The province to which a rated Boxer holds the title for will be reflected next to the Boxer’s name.4. Interim Champions
Whenever a champion, nationally or provincially, is temporarily unable to defend his/her championship for whatever reason/s, the Sanctioning Committee will appoint or approve two boxers to fight for an interim championship title. This in its development will lead to two champions simultaneously existing in the same weight division, which will be known as an Interim Champion.
As and when the original champion is able to return, he/she must fight against the Interim Champion in a ‘unification bout’. The winner of this contest will then be crowned the undisputed champion. If the original champion cannot return or transfers to a different weight division, the Interim Champion will automatically be the undisputed champion.5. Boxer/Champion in Recess
Whenever a rated boxer is temporarily unable, due to injury or illness, to fight for a period of no more than 12 months, he/she shall be placed as a Boxer/Champion in Recess, subject to him/her providing to BSA a medical certificate confirming such. Upon his/her return he/she will be afforded the privilege of being included in the top ten SA rankings, subject to certain conditions imposed on him/her by BSA.
6. Vacant Title
A title will be declared vacant in two instances, i.e.
When a champion, for whatever reason, vacates the title voluntarily; or if the champion forfeits his/her title as a result of one or more of the following:
- At the discretion of BSA, if he/she is convicted of any criminal offence while the boxer is the holder of a title;
- If he/she is found guilty of misconduct as a boxer;
- If he/she is unable to or refuses to defend the title after receipt of a challenge approved and a date given for such title contest or when required to do so by Boxing SA
- If he/she for any reason ceases to be registered as a boxer in terms of regulation 2 of Boxing Regulations; or
- If he/she fails to achieve the specified weight at the weigh-in for the championship contest as contemplated in regulation 23(4)(d) of the Boxing Regulation of 2004.
A boxer who voluntarily wishes to vacate a title must inform BSA in writing of his intent to do so and provide reasons thereof.
All queries related to ratings and Boxrec information must be made in writing and e-mailed to Mr. Andre de Vries at firstname.lastname@example.org; alternatively to the Director of Operations at email@example.com